In Komotini the visitor can admire the Metropolitan Church of the Dormition of the Virgin (Koimesis Theotokou), which stands within the Byzantine fortress and was built in 1800. Two of the older mosques have also survived and remain in use: the Eski Tzami (old mosque) and the Yeni Tzami (new mosque) to which the city clock-tower is attached, on Ermou str. The Archaeological Museum and the Folklore Museum of the Educational Society hold fine collections of findings from a variety of archaeological sites and ancient cities in Thrace. Next to the Rodopi Prefecture Building there is the Byzantine Museum- House of Letters and Arts, which has a large collection of rare books, manuscript, ceramics, etc.
North of Komotini, just beyond the village of Symvola and close to the bank of the river Vosvozis, lie the remains of a Macedonian tomb of the 3rd century B.C. There is a lovely walk there along the dirt track by the river, with a great view of the forest of Nymphaia and the pleasant sound of running water. The forest is ideal for walks, relaxation and picnics.